Common Serial Bus also called USB has develop into an business customary for connecting two gadgets. The USB port is an interface that permits a tool to connect with different gadgets. This connection is initiated by a USB cable. The cable not solely permits knowledge switch but in addition powers the related gadgets. The USB extension cables are nothing however an prolonged model of the USB ports.
This cable presents connectivity between two distant [placed devices. It has a male connector on one side that can be plugged into a host device’s USB port. The other end has a female port into which an external USB male connector fits. Selecting a good USB extension cable is not a mammoth task when some important factors are considered.
- Length: The plus point of using a USB extension cable is the extended connectivity it offers. The length plays an important role in data transfer. An optimum length helps in maximum data transfer rate with no loss of signal. Since it also allows charging the connected devices, the longer lengths are not suitable for fast charging.
- Connector Type: There are different connector configurations for a USB extension cable. It consists of a male connector at one end and a female port at the other. These connectors and ports can be of similar types or different types. These connectors are compatible with different devices and also have different data transfer speeds.
- Wire Material: The wire material has a major impact on the cable’s data transmission ability. Every wire has a copper core which consists of several copper wires woven into a single wire. The wires are shielded with the help of aluminum foil or other materials. The shielding prevents external interface on the wire and results in lossless data transmission.
Keeping these factors on priority, a better-performing USB extension cable can be bought. To ease your selection process, a detailed list of all the available options is discussed below. A “Buying Guide” and some common FAQs are also discussed to clear any confusion related to the USB extension cables and their specifications.
Best USB Extension Cable 2022
Best USB Extension Cable Reviews
1. Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Extension Cable
The first product on the list is from the Amazon Basics brand. Being a sub-brand of Amazon, it has a wider range of electronic accessories. The selling point of its products is the standard quality offered at lower prices.
The AmazonBasics USB Extension Cable supports the latest USB 3.0 version. It can offer a data transmission speed of 5Gbps. It has a male connector and a female port, both plated with gold. This coating offers higher clarity in the signals and also keeps the connectors away from corrosion. The cable consists of a shielded wire core that rescues any type of signal interference.
The cable has a length of 3.3-feet and it can transfer data without any loss over the length. The USB 3.0 version allows power delivery through the cable. Power management is efficient since it uses less power and delivers more power. This cable is compatible with personal computers, printers, and many other devices.
- USB 3.0 connector and port
- The data transmission speed of 5Gbps
- 3-feet long cable
- Gold plated connecter and port
- Shielded wire core
- Better data transmission with zero signal degradation
- Power management helps in less power consumption and proper power delivery
- Compatible with computers, primers, cameras, and other devices
- The short length of the cable limits its use to a short distance
2. AINOPE USB 3.0 Extension Cable
Ainope is an electronic accessory manufacturing brand. It has an in-house development process that helps in creating innovative products. The products are designed in a way to offer unmatched durability.
The Ainope USB Extension Cable is one of the most durable cables on the list. It is a 10-feet cable tested for beading and various conditions. It is covered with braided nylon which offers wear resistance without compromising the flexibility of the cable. The cable has a USB 3.0 male-to-female connector, capable of delivering a data transmission speed of 5Gbps. It supports fast charging and offers a charging speed of 2A along with data transfer.
The connectors are made up of aluminum alloy and enclosed into a metal shell. A gold plating is also provided to the connectors to get good signal clarity. The wire of the cable comes with proper shielding that minimizes interference and allows a lossless data transfer. The backward compatibility of the extension cables makes them suitable for USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 devices. The cable also comes with a sticky buckle that keeps the cable organized.
- 10-feet cable covered with a braided nylon
- USB 3.0 connectors made up of aluminum alloy and gold plating
- The data transmission speed of 5Gbps
- Supports 2A fast charging
- Shielded wire core to minimize interference
- Sticky buckle for cable management
- 1 cable per pack
- The cable can sustain bending and shows no signs of wear in a long run
- Backward compatibility makes it easy to use with previous USB generation devices
- The metallic body of the connector and the port keeps them away from any damage
- The connectors are bound to oxidation in a humid environment
3. ITD ITANDA USB 3.0 Extension Cable
Itanda is one of the smart accessories brands. It offers a product lineup focused on premium quality. The brand also offers a good service to its consumers and works on valuable feedback.
The Itanda USB Extension Cable is a USB type-A cable. It has a male connector and female ports at both ends respectively. The cable is 10 feet long and takes care of connecting devices kept at longer distances. The cable has a USB 3.0 interface and is hence able to fetch data at 5gbps speed. It also allows power transfer and hence is suitable for fast charging. The reverse compatibility of the extension cables makes them compatible with USB 2 and USB 1 series devices.
The connectors are coated with nickel plating for enhanced corrosion resistance. The cable has a nylon braided jacket that resists any type of wearing. The connectors are enclosed in an aluminum alloy body. The cable joints are reinforced which keeps them away from creeping or cutting under bending. The cable is compatible with computers, gaming controllers, and many more devices.
- 10-feet cable covered with a braided nylon
- USB 3.0 interface with 5Gbps data transmission speed
- Zinc-coated male-to-female connectors enclosed in aluminum alloy body
- Supports fast charging
- Reinforced joints offer creep resistance under bending
- Velcro buckle for cable management
- This extension cable can work with previous USB generations due to backward compatibility
- Suitable for personal computers, gaming controllers, keyboards, and other USB peripherals
- The shielding of the wire helps reduce the interference and delivers a lossless signal
- The braided cover reduces the flexibility of the extension cable
4. OKRAY USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Okray is also one of the electronic accessories manufacturers. The accessories offer better connectivity solutions. The products are designed by keeping durability and performance at the topmost priority.
The Okray USB Extension Cable is a 6-feet long cable that connects distantly kept devices. It has a male and female connector that supports a USB 2.0 interface. The extension cable easily delivers a data transmission speed of 480Mbp. The cable also supports power transfer and hence is used for charging devices. Being a USB type-A cable, it is compatible with various devices like webcams, computers, gaming controllers, etc.
The connectors are plated with gold to reduce any type of electromagnetic interference. The braided nylon cover helps resist the bending and twisting of the cable. The cover also offers protection against any abrasion and keeps the inner copper wire safe from exposure. The cable has various color options to choose from. A total of 2 cables are provided in a single pack which comes in handy when more length is required.
- 6-feet long cable covered with braided nylon jacket
- USB 2.0 cable with charging support
- Data transfer speed of 480Mbps
- Gold plated USB type-A connectors for reduced electromagnetic interference
- Copper wire of 21 gauge ensures lossless signal clarity
- 2 cables per pack and various color options
- The cable can withstand twisting, bending and any type of abrasion attack
- It is compatible with computers, game controllers, and other USB devices
- The cable also works with previous generation USB devices
- Data transmission speed is less than USB 3.0 generation
5. Besgoods USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Besgoods produces electronic accessories for computers and smartphones. It is one of the brands which has a strict testing process before the product makes it to the market. This process ensures the Besgoods products deliver a good performance.
The Besgoods USB Extension Cable is a 10-feet cable. It is a USB 2.0 cable that works with USB-fitted devices. The cable can deliver a data transmission speed of 480Mbps. It is made up of eco-friendly PVC material and has good durability. The USB type-A male and female connectors are plated with a gold coating that enhances signal clarity. The inner core of the cable is made up of corrosion-resistant copper with a high conducting property.
The cable is tested for various rough uses to ensure the unmatched quality the brand is known for. The extension cable is compatible with USB port devices like computers, tablets, and other peripherals. The connectors fit the ports perfectly, reducing the chances of accidental unplugging. It has a tangle-free body that limits the creeping of the extension cable.
- USB 2.0 extension cable
- A longer cable length of 10 feet
- The data transmission speed of 480mbps
- The cable body made up of non-toxic and eco-friendly PVC material
- USB type-A male and female connectors plated with gold for clear signal clarity
- One cable per pack
- This extension cable works with any USB 2.0 device
- The copper wire used has a good conducting property and allows interference-free data transfer
- The cable body is tangle-free and does not creep under bending
- The absence of a braided nylon cover makes it more vulnerable to abrasion attacks
6. Costyle White USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Costyle also produces electronic accessories. The products have wider compatibility and can work with personal computers and game controllers. Using good quality materials, its products carry a premium feel.
The Costyle USB Extension Cable is a USB 2.0 cable. It has a good data transmission speed of 480Mbps. This extension cable also allows power transfer and hence supports fast charging. The cable is 10 feet long and suits long-distance applications improving the convenience of the user. The cable has male and female connectors that work well with any USB type-A device.
The cables consist of a high-quality copper wire core with good conducting properties. The connectors are coated with gold to minimize any type of interference in the signals. The cable body is made up of tougher PVC material that increases the cable’s durability. The cable works with printers, personal computers, and other USB port devices.
- USB 2.0 extension cable
- A data transmission speed of 480Mbps
- 10-feet long cable made up of PVC material
- USB type-A male and female connectors with gold plating for hood signal clarity
- High-quality copper core with good conductance
- Supports fast charging
- 2 cables are included in the pack
- Suitable for USB-enabled keyboards, gaming controllers, personal computers, etc
- The cables have undergone various bending test and therefore has a good durability
- Thick gauge wire restricts any type of electromagnetic interference
- The absence of braided nylon makes it susceptible to external wear
7. UGREEN 2 Pack USB 3.0 Extension Cable
Ugreen is a well-known name in the electronic devices and accessories market. It develops accessories for smartphones, computers, and many other devices. Keeping a user-centered manufacturing process, it can maintain good quality in its products.
The Ugreen USB Extension Cable is a USB 3.0 cable. With a length of 3 feet, the cable easily connects various devices at a shorter distance. The data transmission speed of 5Gbps helps in reducing overall transfer time. The reverse compatibility makes the extension cable compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1 series. This USB extension cable also supports fast charging speed up to 3.5A. To assist charging and data transfer, the wire has multiple layers of shielding that minimize any signal interference.
The male and female connectors are made up of aluminum alloys. The cable is covered with a wear-resistant braided nylon jacket. The cable joints are designed in a way to endure bending 10,000 times in their lifetime. A total of 2 cables are available in the same package. The cable also has various length options that suit different applications.
- USB 3.0 extension cable of 3-feet length
- Data transfer speed of 5Gbps
- Supports 3.5A fast charging
- Covered with a wear-resistant braided nylon jacket
- Aluminum male and female connectors (USB type-A)
- 2 cables per pack with different length options
- It is reverse compatible with USB 2 and 1 generation and hence it suitable for USB-enabled devices
- The cable has excellent durability thanks to the 10,000 bending test
- The cable achieves lossless transition since it is provided with multiple shields against electromagnetic interference
- The price of the cable per foot is higher than other options
8. Hisatey USB 3.0 Extension Cable
Hisatey offers solutions for electronic device connectivity, The products have universal compatibility making them suitable for almost every electronic device with USB ports.
The Hisatey USB Extension Cable has a USB 3.0 interface. The cable is capable of transmitting data at a speed of 5Gbps. The cable is 20 feet long and ensures connectivity between devices placed at long distances. Even with this length, the tinned copper core easily transmits data as well as supports the power supply. The cable offers a fast charging speed of 2A. The core wire is shielded with aluminum foil which keeps electromagnetic interference away from the cable.
Both male and female connectors of the cable are of USB type-A configuration, making them compatible with peripherals to computers. The outer cover of the extension cables is made up of braided nylon which offers great wear resistance to the cable surface. The braided design also keeps the cable from tangling. Tested for 10,000 bending conditions, the extension cable is made to last long.
- USB 3.0 cable with tinned copper core and aluminum foil shield
- A data transmission speed of 5Gbps
- Fast charging support up to 2A
- The cable length is 20 feet and is covered with a braided nylon
- USB type-A connector (both male and female)
- Improved durability with 10,000 bending tests
- Downward compatibility helps the cable in working previous USB generation devices
- The cable can transmit data and power with zero electromagnetic interference and without any signal loss
- The cable has an extended warranty of 36 months
- Price is higher than other options
9. Amazon Basics USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Another product from the arsenal of Amazon Basics has made it to the list. This option is a lower version of its previously mentioned sibling. It carries the same performance and quality offered by the brand.
This AmazonBasics USB Extension Cable is 9.8-feet long. Being a USB 2.0 extension cable, it can achieve a data transfer speed of 480Mbps. It has USB type-A connectors at both ends, one male and one female. Both connectors are made up of corrosion-resistant material, making them durable. A gold plating treatment is also given to the connectors to increase the signal quality.
The cable has proper shielding all over its length to resist electromagnetic noise, resulting in a lossless transmission. This extension cable can be connected to any USB 2.0-enabled devices like computers, game controllers, and other peripherals. The cable comes in different length options and different quality packs.
- USB 2.0 extension cable
- The overall length of 9.8-feet
- The data transmission speed of 480Mbps
- Male and female connectors are made up of corrosion-resistant material and gold plating
- 1 cable pack with various length and quantity options
- Compatible with USB type-A interface devices
- Being compatible with USB 2.0 devices, it is suitable for various applications
- It can offer a lossless data transmission
- The cable has a lower price per feet
- The absence of a braided nylon cover makes the cable prone to external damages
10. AINOPE 6.6FT+6.6FT USB Extension Cable
Ainope’s second product has also made it to the list. This opinion is a short-length version of its previously discussed sibling. This option follows the development process of the brand and hence possesses good durability.
This Ainope USB Extension Cable is a short-length sibling of the previously discussed cable from the same brand. It is a USB 3.0 cable capable of delivering a data transmission speed of 5Gbps. It also allows the power supply and supports the fast charging of connected devices. The male and female connectors are made up of aluminum alloy material, ensuring good corrosion resistance. These connectors are enclosed inside a metal case to offer protection against external damages.
The inner core of the cable has multiple layers of shielding that keeps any type of electromagnetic interference away from the cable. The outer body is covered with a braided nylon jacket to avoid any surface damage. It also keeps the cable away from tangling and increases the overall durability of the cable. A velcro buckle is also provided with the 2 extension cables to keep them organized.
- 6-feet long USB 3.0 extension cable
- The data transmission rate of 5Gbps
- Connectors are made up of aluminum alloy to resist corrosion
- 2 cables and one velcro buckle included inside the pack
- Metal case for both connectors
- Inner core with multiple layers of shield to minimize interference
- This extension cable can be used with any USB device since it supports reverse compatibility
- The cable is capable of transmitting data and power without a loss over its length
- It has gone under 20,000 bending tests and hence has a high durability
- The cable performance degrades if the gold plating starts to oxidize under humidity
11. Alxum USB 3.0 Extension Cable
Alxum is a new brand in the computer accessories market yet it managed to rise the charts by offering a good product range. Its products maintain a high-quality standard. The brand is also popular for its aesthetic design language.
The Alxum USB Extension Cable is the longest cable on the list. With a length of 50 feet, this cable can connect long-distance devices. To assist data transmission over such a long distance, the cable comes equipped with 2 built-in signal booster chips. The cable is therefore able to transmit data at a constant rate of 5Gbps over the total length. The cable has a power port which helps it supply stable power. It can offer 5V/2A charging to connected devices.
The cable’s wire has three layers of shield that keeps any electromagnetic(EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) away. The reverse compatibility feature makes it suitable for previous generations of USB devices. Due to its length, the cable is suitable for applications like CCTV cameras, advertisement boards, and computers. The cable can also be extended in series and it will still transmit data and power up to 98 feet.
- USB 3.0 extension cable of 50-feet length
- 2 signal boosting chips for lossless data transmission over the cable length
- Data transferring rate of 5Gbps
- External power port can be connected to power adapter to allow 5V/2A fast charging
- Triple layers of shielding to reduce EMI and RFI interference
- Power adapter included
- The cable is powerful enough to transmit data up to 98 feet when connected in series
- Suitable for previous generation USB ports due to downward compatibility
- The cables come with a 2-year quality guarantee
- The overall cost of the cable is higher than any other option
12. CHOSEAL USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Choseal specialized in manufacturing innovative products. The products are also integrated with security for safer data transfer between connected devices. The products use alternative materials and have a user-friendly design.
The Choseal USB Extension Cable has a USB 2.0 interface. It is capable of transmitting data from one device to the other at a rate of 480Mbps. The cable has one male and female connector of USB type-A configuration. These connectors are made up of corrosion-resistant material. The connectors are coated with nickel plating to increase their durability.
The overall length of this cable is 9.8-feet. The inner core wire of the extension cable is shielded to reduce the signal interference over the cable length. The cable is compatible with USB 2.0 port devices like game controllers, computers, and other peripherals. The outer body of the cable and the connectors is made up of plastic material that increases the overall flexibility.
- USB 2.0 extension cable
- The overall length of the cable is 9.8-feet
- Data transfer rate of 480Mbps
- Male and female connectors are made up of corrosion-resistant material and coated with nickel plating
- The connector casing and the cable are made up of flexible plastic
- Lossless data transition is possible due to the shielding of the inner wire
- The extension cable is compatible with USB 2.0 devices
- The cable has an anti-tangle design
- Plastic material quality is not good
Buying Guide For The Best USB Extension Cable
USB extension cables have simplified the connectivity between two devices. This connectivity comes with an uncompromised data transmission quality. A list of such USB extension cables is discussed above. With so many technical specifications some confusion might be doing rounds in your mind. This buying guide will help you address those confusions and will eventually make your selection process easy.
The USB ports are fitted into the devices and hence they are not extendable. The USB extension cable offers connectivity between ports of two different devices, placed within a short range. Since the cable transfers data and power at the same time, limiting the overall length ensures efficient working of the cable.
The cables experience a loss of signal strength over a certain distance. The longer the cable, the more signal degradation is bound to happen. Length ranging from 3 feet to 10 feet is common in the market. Options longer than 10 feet are also available with proper insulation to reduce signal degradation. It also helps in transferring power through the cables over longer distances.
2. Connector Type
The extension cable consists of a male connector and a female port. The male connector is plugged into the female port of one device. The cable’s female port can be connected to the male connectors of the other device. The USB type-A is the most commonly used connector for computers. Other types like USB B, micro USB, and USB type-C are also available in the extension cables.
The connector and the port of the extension cable are of the same type. For example, if the male connector is USB type-C, the female port of the extension cable will be USB type-C too. Some extension cables also come with a converter port that can connect dissimilar types of USB devices.
3. Data Transfer Rate
Every device has a different type of USB interface that suits its working. Different iterations of USB have different types of data transmission speeds. The USB extension cables support different iterations of USB. The USB 1 series were the earliest ports to be used, which delivered 12Mbps speed. The USB 2 was an upgraded version and was hence called the high-speed USB port. It has an improved data transfer speed of 280Mbps.
It was replaced by the faster USB 3 series that delivered a data transfer speed of 5Gbps. The latest iteration of the USB 3 series is the USB 3.1 which has a superfast data transfer speed of 10Gbps. The plus point of the USB 3 series is the backward compatibility, meaning they can run with earlier USB versions.
The material used for the cable body plays an important role in increasing its durability. PVC is the most commonly used material for the cable cover due to its creep resistance property. The cable body is covered with a braided nylon jacket. This jacket offers resistance to the wire from getting cut and keeps the inner wire from getting exposed.
The connectors are coated with gold plating to keep corrosion away. For the cable’s core wire, tinned copper is used for its high-conducting property. These wires are of a higher gauge (thickness) and help in increasing the overall length of the cable. The copper wires are shielded with aluminum foils to keep them safe from electromagnetic noise.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: The USB 3 series is an advanced version of the USB 2 series. They support reverse compatibility which means they can run with the previous versions of the USB ports. The only limitation phase by the USB 3 series is the data transmission speed. The USB 3 cable connected to a USB 2 port will transmit the data at the speed supported by the USB 2 version.
Ans: Extension cables transfer data and power. The data transfer process is prone to signal loss for longer lengths. For shorter lengths, electromagnetic interference troubles the data transfer process. Hence the length is lept optimum to avoid the above-mentioned problem. The use of proper shielding and higher gauge wire eliminated the length limitation of the extension cable.
Ans: The USB extension cables are compatible with any device that supports a USB interface. The devices have different USB ports due to the difference in their application. For smartphones and smart tabs, the micro USB extension cables suit well. The personal computer and other devices use the standard USB type-A cables.
Ans: The difference between USB generations is not limited to color coding. Every generation is an improved version of its previous generation. They offer improved data transmission speed. The latest USB 3 series are the most advanced versions. They offer a data transmission rate of 5Gbps and possess reverse compatibility. Hence they are most preferred for the latest USB extension cables.
As discussed above, USB extension cables have become one of the most important accessories to have. They have reduced the connectivity problems between devices kept at a distance. Selecting a good USB extension cable is not a hard task when its specifications are understood. Hence, we provided a detailed list of all the available options along with a buying guide. We also covered the FAQs section to clear up any confusion regarding the USB extension cables. With this information, we have chosen our favorites from the list.
- The Alxum USB Extension Cable is a feature-loaded option. It is a USB 3.0 cable capable of data transferring at 5Gbps speed. The cable is the largest amongst all the options at a huge 50-feet length. To deliver a constant data transmission all over the cable length, it has 2 signal booster chips placed at strategic points. The cables also allow power supply and have a power port. The external power adapter is connected to this port to deliver a 5V/2A power supply to the connected device. The signal interference is reduced by proper shielding of the inner wire. This extension cable works well with previous generations of USB devices. It can also be extended further up to 98 feet with the same data transmission speed.
- The Ugreen USB Extension Cable is our next choice. This cable is also a USB 30 cable. It transmits data from one device to the others at a rate of 5Gbps. It also allows the power supply and supports fast charging up to 3.5A output. The 3-feet length cable consists of multiple shield layers that keep the signal cables from interference. The male and female connectors are made from aluminum alloy material and covered with gold plating. This helps in increasing signal clarity. The cable is tested for over 10,000 bending tests to make sure it endures real-life conditions. This durable wire is covered with a braided nylon jacket to keep it safe from external damage. All these features justify its price tag, making it a value-for-money cable.
- The AmazonBasics USB Extension Cable is a USB 2.0 cable. This option does not lag behind the USB 3.0 versions when it comes to the performance factor. With 480Mbps speed, it can handle large chunks of data in less time. The connectors are made up of corrosion restaurant material and coated with gold plating. This ensures improved clarity in the signal. To keep a constant data transmission speed all over the 9.8-feet cable, it is provided with proper shielding. This shield keeps electromagnetic noise away. The cable is compatible with all USB 2.0 devices that have USB type-A configurations. Since the brand is known for the affordable pricing of its products, this product follows in the same footsteps. It offers all these features at the lowest price tag among all options.